Dr. Mark Johnson of Global Wildlife Resources introduced the Y pole to animal shelters and captive wolf facilities. It is an essential tool for difficult to manage dogs within a facility and also for wildlife professionals working with fractious canids such as wolves and coyotes. The Y pole is only effective for restraining animals which are already cornered or captured, but not yet safe enough to handle.
The Y pole is a humane tool to gently control an animal. It allows practitioners to perform simple hands-on procedures such as:
- Injecting vaccinations, antibiotics, or anesthesia.
- Partial physical examinations and minor treatment of wounds.
- Additional physical restraint if the animal must be moved or handled in a more extensive manner.
- Made with rust resistant thicker aluminum for extra durability.
- New! Retracted approx. 39″ (99cm) Extended approx. 60″ (152cm)
Capturing Mexican Wolf with Y Pole
The Y angle best fits the animal’s body shape. The pole’s thick rubber lining helps to protect the animal’s teeth.
Balanced and Comfortable
Balanced weight throughout the poles length provides more control. The pole’s thick rubber grips for easier use.
“ Great design of the Y Pole. I could not believe the ease I had with restraining the coyote pups. On the sixth and seventh pup I felt like an old pro being able to guide the pole perfectly. The interesting observation was the coyotes are still small enough that they could have squeezed their heads out easily but the design of the Y Pole worked without a hitch submitting them.”
– Andrew Wight, Toronto Wildlife Centre